Individuals and businesses that feel the need to store or ship massive numbers of items are advised to purchase their own shipping storage containers. This is a way to ensure that the products are kept safe at all times. This is a type of long-term investment that must be considered only if there is a need since those who own shipping storage containers always have to try and prolong the lifespan of these containers. With that being said, interested buyers should be ready to factor in maintenance costs for their shipping storage containers. This article will focus on showing interested buyers the average lifespan of shipping storage containers and ways that may help them prolong them.
Important Things To Know About Storage Shipping Containers
Storage shipping containers are primarily used for storage and moving massive numbers of products. These containers are built with durable material to ensure that they are able to withstand pressure from external forces. Most storage shipping containers are made to be watertight and wind resistant. There are even some shipping containers that are made out of stainless steel material to provide them with excellent resistance to corrosion. There are different types of shipping containers that may be built with special materials to ensure that they will be able to effectively keep the products in storage.
Some manufacturers even use corten steel to build storage shipping containers to ensure that these containers will be able to withstand extreme climate changes. Different types of shipping container are used, which depends on the product or item that needs to be stored or moved. You may refer to the following list for these other common types:
- For items that need to be stored without any temperature requirements, they may be stored into dry storage shipping containers. Items such as retail goods, appliances, furniture, canned meat, and electronics are perfect examples of items that have no special temperature conditions that need to be met by a specific type of shipping container. They just need to be stored in a container with a floor, roof, and walls. A dry storage shipping container is known to be water-resistant to ensure that the items will not be affected by weather changes.
- Items that need to be kept under certain temperature levels are stored into refrigerated shipping containers, also known as reefer containers. With a built-in refrigeration system, this type of shipping container can effectively store and preserve products such as fruits, vegetables, meat, and dairy products. The refrigeration system can be set between -30°C and 40°C. This ensures that the products can be moved during extreme climate conditions. The refrigeration system can be kept running using a portable generator. The reefer container can be set at least 2 hours before it can reach the desired temperature set on its thermostat.
- For liquids and gases, these are usually stored in tank shipping containers. With its unique cylindrical shape, people near the container are aware that it may be carrying something hazardous or non-hazardous. This will warn people when they should keep distance from this type of shipping container. It is usually made from material that cannot be affected by corrosion. Certain chemicals have strong compositions that need to be considered to ensure that the tank shipping container does not get damaged during travel.
- There are also shipping containers that are designed to give easy access to the items that need to be stored in them. There are shipping containers with no roofs, while there are also those that have sides that can be opened for faster loading and unloading of equipment or products. It really depends on the type or size of the items that need to be shipped for you to decide which type of shipping container you need to use.
Prolonging The Lifespan Of Storage Shipping Containers
Being designed to handle numerous instances of heavy shock and pressure, a shipping container is said to live for at least 30 years before it loses much of its effectiveness. This means that in normal cases, shipping containers can be able to maintain their durability, sturdiness, and watertight performance for at least 30 years. If you consider the investment that you will be making to purchase a shipping container, having it reach at least 30 years is already considered to be an excellent investment. However, with proper maintenance, you may prolong the lifespan of your shipping container. You may refer to the list below for some of these maintenance tips:
- For shipping containers that are used for storing and not transporting items, make sure that the base or floors of these shipping containers do not sit directly on the ground. Owners have to realize that the ground can get damp or wet at any given time. The weather is an uncontrollable factor that can affect any environment where shipping containers may be placed. Moisture absorption should be avoided at all time since even shipping containers made with the best type of materials will still be affected with wear and tear. Owners should ensure that they help in prolonging the lifespan of their shipping containers. They should install stands and bases below their shipping containers that are made from durable materials to make sure that they can withstand all the weight of these heavy containers.
- It is highly advised that you have your shipping containers painted. You may not be sure if the type of material used to make your shipping container is 100% rustproof. Painting over it will ensure that the paint will protect it from getting corroded easily by rust. If you purchased a used shipping container, it would be best for you to have it checked first so that any damages and signs of rusting can be identified at the earliest possible time. These damages and signs of rusting should be fixed or removed before painting over the shipping container.
- Shipping containers should be installed with proper ventilation, unless you are using reefer containers. Even though most shipping containers are designed to include very small pressure vents to allow the units to breathe, these vents may not be enough to ensure that any moisture that accidentally enters the unit will be released. If moisture stays inside the shipping container, there is a possibility that it will eventually negatively affect the materials that make up the shipping container. Also, dry goods are known for gathering condensation, which means that any moisture should be released to prevent the goods from rotting. You may get in touch with experts to help you install the necessary ventilation for your shipping container. There are different types of ventilation that can be added to your shipping container. These types include fixed louver vent, roof-top turbine vent or an exhaust fan.
- Always keep the roof of the shipping container clear from water and any debris that may sit on it. Moisture can cause a multitude of problems with different materials. In most cases, moisture causes most materials to deteriorate. There can be a possibility that the material used to build your shipping container will not react well to moisture. If you fail to remove moisture on its roof, the roof might trap it and have it degrade the material over a period of time. You may not be able to immediately see its negative impact until the time you find out that the roof of your shipping container already has holes and damages.
- Shipping containers have moving parts that need to be properly maintained to ensure that they will always work as intended. Lubricating some key areas of your shipping container can eventually save you from any hassle in the future. Shipping containers have locks, hinges, latches, and gaskets that need to be regularly checked and maintained. When rust starts to affect these parts, you may find it hard to access your shipping container. In the worst cases, you may be pushed to forcefully break into your own shipping container just because rust has made it impossible for these parts to work as intended.
- Have an expert check your shipping container regularly. Regardless of the type of shipping container that you may be using, there needs to be a regular maintenance check to see if all the parts are still in working condition. If you are using a reefer container to store your perishable goods, you should have the refrigeration system checked regularly to check if it is still in its peak condition. The possibility that some parts of the refrigeration system may get damaged or may have degraded over the years is very high, which is why it is necessary to have it checked regularly. Reefer containers may be deemed unusable once its refrigeration system is already broken and unfixable.
Shipping Containers Should Undergo Periodic Maintenance
You should always think that purchasing a brand new or used shipping container is an investment, may it be for personal or business use. A shipping container needs to be regularly checked and fixed when the need arises. Having your shipping container last for long periods of time will assure you that you will not have problems storing or transporting your goods or things. If you need to purchase durable shipping containers, you can contact Toronto Trailers at 416 477 5488.